Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Direction for the Journey


So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.” (Isaiah 41:10).

When I go on a trip, before I even leave home, I check on the map where I am headed. I make sure I have the necessary directions to arrive at my destination. If I have some place specific to be, I want good directions. I am not fond of getting lost. Directions provide guidance of how to travel from point A to point B. With today’s GPS systems, one can have step-by-step directions from door-to-door.

An angel appeared to several people on this journey to Bethlehem, preparing them for journey with two simple words of direction, “Fear not.” The journey of life, like that journey to Bethlehem 2000 years ago, can seem frightening, overwhelming. At the time of the birth of Christ, the journey to Bethlehem was a dangerous one to on which to embark. The route, a seventy mile journey which Joseph and Mary took was in rocky highlands in which bandits lay in wait for those who risk traveling. The travel is exhausting and vastly uncomfortable.

However, God told the travelers to “Fear not” for He was with them. As God was with those weary travelers long ago, He is with us today. Our journey may not be without pain, it may not be without risk and it may be tiring and uncomfortable. Dear one, fear not, for God is with us; we need no other direction.

Digging deeper: 2 Timothy 1:7; Mark 6:50; Matthew 17:7; Revelation 1:17; Genesis 26:24; Isaiah 41:13; Romans 8:15

No comments:

Post a Comment