Monday, June 13, 2011

Standing Firm During Adversity



Philippians 4:6 “Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.” (NIV)

I was watching a robin outside my window the other day. The winds were blowing, gusting to 25-30 mph, yet that robin stood firm on the swaying branch. All around the robin, the branches of the tree were swaying mightily, including the branch upon which the robin had perched. Not to say the robin’s feathers were not getting ruffled, for they were, yet that robin did not waver on that branch.

Oh, were I more like that robin, standing firm during adversity. Too often it seems that I give way during troubles, doubting rather than clinging to the Father. God has promised that when temptation comes that He will provide an out for us, that we will not be tempted more than we can handle. “The temptations in your life are no different from what others experience. And God is faithful. He will not allow the temptation to be more than you can stand. When you are tempted, he will show you a way out so that you can endure” (I Corinthians 10:13, NIV) All we have to do is call upon Him.

Prayer: O Father, may I cry out to stay strong with your power, your might during adversity. May I not waver, but stay firmly planted in your will. Thank you that you are faithful, holding me up during troubling times. Amen.

Digging deeper: Matthew 6:25-34; Proverbs 13:12, Psalm 25:2a, 105:4, 118:5-6; Jeremiah 29:11

No comments:

Post a Comment