Sunday, November 8, 2009

Self-centeredness

Self-centeredness

I enjoy some of facebook. It has been nice to connect with friends from days long ago; it is a good tool to stay connected quickly with family. However, when I read the entries of constant whiners, I quickly become irritated with the program and with the whiners. Everyone has something and so in reading the writings of the whiners my unkind thought of them is to just get over themselves. Yet, when I pause to think on myself, I wonder how many in my life would love to tell me that very thing. Self-centeredness is not a pleasant trait in anyone.

Philippians 2:3-4 says “Do nothing from selfishness or empty conceit, but with humility of mind let each of you regard one another as more important than himself; do not merely look out for your own personal interests, but also for the interests of others.”

Matthew Henry commentary offers the following: Christ came to humble us, let there not be among us a spirit of pride. We must be severe upon our own faults, and quick in observing our own defects, but ready to make favourable allowances for others. We must kindly care for others, but not be busy-bodies in other men's matters. Neither inward nor outward peace can be enjoyed, without lowliness of mind.

Make favorable allowances for others……ouch. When others are being whiney, instead of becoming irritated, I am to listen, to care, and above all else to pray for them. We are told in Ephesians 5:1 “to be imitators of God.” If I keep my eyes upon Him, I become less self-centered, more Him-center and thus become others-centered.

No comments:

Post a Comment